Iranian-backed terrorists warned that they would attack US bases in Iraq and Syria in retaliation for the strikes against the Islamic Republic.
Iran threatened US President Donald Trump that it would launch terror attacks from within the United States if he ordered strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities, NBC News reported Sunday, citing two sources.
Iran reportedly sent Trump the threat at the G7 summit earlier this month and warned that the Islamic Republic could activate “sleeper cells” from within the US.
Trump confirmed US airstrikes on Iranian nuclear facilities in Fordow, Natanz, and Isfahan on Saturday night, and later said that the three sites were “completely and totally obliterated.”
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem issued a National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) Bulletin, which is reportedly due to a “heightened threat environment” across the country due to the strikes. However, she later elaborated that there are currently “no specific credible threats” from within the country.
“It is our duty to keep the nation safe and informed, especially during times of conflict,” Noem said. “The ongoing Israel-Iran conflict brings the possibility of increased threat to the homeland in the form of possible cyberattacks, acts of violence, and antisemitic hate crimes.”
The State Department also issued a warning to US citizens overseas to exercise further caution due to the current conflict.
Attacks against US could stretch into Iraq, Syria
Also on Sunday, the New York Times reported that Iranian-backed terrorists could attack US bases that are stationed in Iraq and Syria in retaliation for the strikes on nuclear sites.
However, the NYT report stated that the Iranian-backed groups have so far held off attacks as of early Monday morning.
Iraqi officials are at work to prevent violent action by these groups, the report quoted a US official as saying.
